Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Sobfest Disclosure: The Movies That Make Me Cry

I was reading this article this morning on Entertainment Weekly's website, discussing what scenes from movies always make you cry. The article talked about how a scene from the movie The Champ (which I've never seen myself) is used in psychological studies to determine when someone is responding to something sad. The author of the article went on to share some of the scenes that make her cry, and it got me thinking...what movie (or TV) scenes never fail to make me cry?

**Be warned...there are spoilers below, so read carefully if you haven't seen some of these movies.

1. The end of The Notebook, when the elderly Noah and Allie die in bed together. Gets me every time. Actually, that whole movie makes me cry, the end just makes me sob.

2. When Mufasa dies in The Lion King-that scene is the first one I ever remember driving me to tears as a kid. Even to this day, I will get tears in my eyes. There's something about watching a child lose a parent that's hard not to hit me emotionally.

3. Umm...all of Toy Story 3? Okay, maybe not all of it, but I cried a minimum of three times during that movie. Namely the scene when the toys are about to be incinerated gets me, as does the end when they wave goodbye to Andy. It makes me think of how after the original Toy Story came out, my sister legitimately thought all of her toys were alive, and she was always so careful and nice to them. I, on the other hand, was too old for such nonsense, but now part of me wonders if maybe they went through the same thing as Andy's toys. I'm sorry Barbies that are still packed up in my parent's basement.

4. Brokeback Mountain, the scene where Innis finds his shirt wrapped up in Jack's. Ugh. I remember sobbing at that part when I saw it in the theater.

5. I'm going to lump the next few together, because they all came from the same TV show-Lost. Admittedly, I know a lot of it has to do with the beautiful score that accompanies many of these scenes. Even when I just listen to certain parts of the music by itself, I get a little choked up. However, it's also characters I was invested in that drove me to tears. A) When Charlie drowns, trying to save the rest of the passengers. That was definitely the death that got me the most on that show. B) When Jack lays down to die, and Vincent (the dog) lies down with him.  C)This one is probably the only happy cry on this list-the series finale when all of the characters are finally meeting up with the people they loved. Specifically, when Sawyer and Juliet finally meet, and when Claire gives birth to Aaron and then sees Charlie. I can't remember the last time a TV show (or a movie, for that matter) made me cry that hard...and it wasn't even sad, it was just so so happy!

6. Harry Potter 7.2-Pretty much just the last half of the movie. I've only seen it once, but I have no doubt it will forever make me sob. Always.

7. My Girl, when Macaully Culkin's character dies. That was another one that always got me as a little kid. Your best friend dying? Come on people, who doesn't cry at that?

8.Armageddon gets two on this list. First, when Harry is saying goodbye to his daughter, and she just keeps saying, "No, no Harry, no." Sob. Then, when Harry pushes Ben Affleck's character back into the shuttle, and Ben yells "No, Harry I love you! Don't do this!" Double sob. Every time.

9. Buffy the Vampire Slayer got a lot of tears from me back in the day, but none more than the episode "The Body". The most honest, emotional, and realistic portrayal of the things people feel when someone dies. It's pretty much just me sobbing for an entire 42 minutes. I don't think it's possible to watch it and not cry.

10. Love Actually. The first time I watched that movie, there were numerous things that made me cry, but now the one scene that still does it is when Emma Thompson's character realizes her husband is cheating on her, goes into the bedroom and cries to Joni Mitchell, then comes back out and goes to a Christmas pageant with her family. Heartbreaking.

11. Every episode of Friday Nights Lights ever. Seriously. I can't think of one episode that didn't make me cry. (I haven't watched the finale yet, but I have no doubt it will be 42 minutes of solid sobbing.)

Special mention to the TV show "Parenthood". I can't think of a specific scene, but Mae Whitman (the little girl from Hope Floats) and Lauren Graham (Lorelei from Gilmore Girls) are some of the best realistic criers around. Anytime they have a heartfelt scene together, I am in pieces.

It's a long list, I realize, but I'm kind of a sap so I cry a lot at movies. Hell, I've cried at commercials before (not often, but it's happened). These were just the first few I thought of, but I'm sure there's many many more.

I'm curious now...what scenes make you cry?

2 comments:

  1. So many of those on your list get me too--The Notebook, Armageddon, Love Actually, Brokeback, FNL. Another couple of newer movies that made me sob like a baby recently were the end of Country Strong and the even of the movie Seven Pounds. If you haven't seen Seven Pounds yet, run, don't walk, to the nearest on demand or Netflix listing and watch it, please. Then there's some of the classics that make me weep: the end of Stepmom when Susan Sarandon talks to each of her kids individually, particularly her daughter; Say Anything (come on, what about Lloyd Dobler doesn't want to make you cry at how freakin sweet he is?!); and finally, the end of La Bamba, which I know isn't a widely viewed movie these days, but I'd recommend it to anyone. I assume you all at least know how it ends and can understand my weepiness...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, Stepmom. I forgot about that one! Ditto. I haven't seen Seven Pounds, but now I'm curious ;)

    ReplyDelete