That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
I was thinking today about nicknames. I don't even know how I got on the topic, maybe because I heard someone call their kid a weird name as I was sitting in Panera. Whatever the way, I started thinking about the names I have been called throughout my life. I don't remember how many of them came about, but I can blame my sister for about half of them. Some are still relevant, some I haven't heard used in years, but I thought I'd share the various things I have been called in my life. By those I care about, I should add; I'm sure I've been called things I ought not share by those who don't care about me or wish me ill.
Oy-yoy-yoy: I feel like a lot of people have some sort of nickname that was developed by a younger sibling's lack of vocabulary. This is one such name. My sister couldn't say Emily when she was a baby/toddler, but she could get the syllables. Thus, I sounded like a British version of a yo-yo.
Cheerio: No, I was not a cheerleader on Glee. Again, the sister apparently didn't like my real name, and had just started eating a certain solid food. I don't know how her mind made the connection between cereal and older sister, but there it is.
Pooh (as in Winnie the): When I was little, my family briefly decided that we resembled the Winnie the Pooh stories. I was Pooh, my mom (who was pregnant with Amanda) was Kanga, Amanda was obviously Roo, and my dad was Eeyore (which remains to this day one of the more accurate nicknames we could give him). I don't think Pooh stuck around for long, but I do remember my dad calling me that sometimes.
Pem/EmPem: The name I am most called at home. I don't know how it came about, but stuck around because rhyming is catchy.
Emmy: Solely reserved for sentimental or sucking up little sisters :)
The Pear: Some students from my first year of teaching started calling me this and it stuck. When they come to visit every once and a while, it's usually what I hear. I sincerely hope this did not come about because of a shape they think I resemble.
Gumby: Yes, it's that green clay person. One time on a family vacation I called Amanda Pokey. She called me Gumby. We only ever use these names on Christmas present tags.
Em: The name most used by friends, family, and sometimes co-workers. What I usually sign emails with to said people. I guess it's too hard to say and/or type the other three letters.
I do enjoy that I was the inventor/perpetrator of all the strange nicknames. :)
ReplyDeleteMe too!
ReplyDeleteYou forgot one. Amanda also called you Eerio after the Cheerio when she finally got the first sound of your name correct, then we finally progressed to Emmy! She seems to do better with names now, thank goodness!
ReplyDelete