Tuesday, January 3, 2012

I've Got a Crush on You

Psst. Pssst.

I have a confession to make.

I have a little bit of a crush. It's a girl-crush. On a celebrity. I'm not really ashamed about it, as the "pssting" might imply, but when making a confession it seems necessary to whisper. That was my internet whisper voice. On a side note, someone really needs to invent a designated whispering font. And a sarcasm font. And maybe an eye-rolling font. I don't know, they seem useful.

Wait, where was I? Oh right. The crush. It's on Zooey Deschanel.

See, here's the deal. I know that it's like the "in" thing to like her right now. I know I'm not the only one to think she's great. And the only reason I say that is to explain that I'm not new to the Zooey bandwagon. She's been on my radar for awhile with the multitude of things she's always doing, but because she's become so much more ubiquitous lately, it's hard to ignore my giant crush. So here, in no particular order are the top five reasons I love Zooey Deschanel.

5. I always find her acting gigs awesome.
Elf? Loved it. Tin Man? Loved it. 500 Days of Summer? Loved it. New Girl? LOVE it. She's good at what she does.


4. This video.
 It's the epitome of adorable, but mostly I'm just jealous of the composure she kept while hearing JGL singing like that. I mean, how?
 
3. She has the most enviable singing voice.
You can take your Carrie Underwoods and Christina Aguileras, but I'd rather listen to Zooey Deschanel sing. Granted, both the previous blondes are very talented and can sing runs and octaves around me, but the quality of ZD's (yeah, I abbreviated it) voice is unlike anything you'll hear on the radio these days. She's got the sound of Rosemary Clooney or Judy Garland, that forties style lilt you just don't hear anymore. I mean, it's hard to sing like that. You've got to sound sultry but innocent all at the same time. Believe me, I've tried. I sound like a bloody idiot. Anyway, if you haven't listened to it already, go download the She and Him albums, Christmas one included. J'adore.

2. She makes me enjoy and embrace being the dork that I am.
I'm a nerd. I'll admit it. I dance around like a fool in my apartment. I sing to myself all the time. I'm a little socially awkward sometimes, even more when I'm trying to impress someone I like. [For instance I totally relate to this post on pinterest.] I watch a lot of sci-fi and I like to have discussions about it. But she makes me feel like that might not be such a bad thing. I'm not just basing this on her character in New Girl, either. Look up her interview on The Nerdist podcast. She's not necessarily the chic, sophisticated woman that seems all female celebrities need to be. She's got a little nerd in her too, and I love that.

Still...

1. I am obsessed with her style.
 Seriously, if there was one celebrity whose clothing and makeup I could emulate, I choose you Pikachu. Vintage-y skirts and dresses, in adorable colors, paired with even cuter shoes. Adorbs. Always flawless makeup, complete with winged eyeliner, long lashes, and flushed cheeks, without being over the top. Perfection. Rocks the heavy bangs and dark curly hair. Awesome. This must be why I'm constantly jeally of my sister's style...she's a pocket-sized Zooey Deschanel!

Anywhoodle, that's my little confession. Not by any means an earth-shattering one, but a crush I've been harboring for a bit 'o time. I just don't see how anyone couldn't love her.

1 comment:

  1. So, so happy to see these posts coming to my email :) I do love reading your writing! (And I can always identify). Keep the wit coming, friend!!

    ReplyDelete