Pardon me, but I need to gush for a second.
Let me start by explaining to you that Pride and Prejudice has been my favorite book since I first picked it up my freshman year of college. Of course Harry Potter will always always give it a run for its money, but if I had to choose my favorite "adult" book, it is certainly P&P. I could make a list of all the reasons why the story and the characters hook me every time. I could wax poetic about the romance, English setting, or period clothing. However, I would instead like to recommend my favorite new Pride and Prejudice adaptation, and my current new obsession.
Understand, that I do not take this recommendation lightly. To those who love P&P like I do, the movie adaptations are kind of a big deal. We all love the 1995 BBC mini-series-I mean, Colin Firth, hello? Also, it's accuracy to the book is the best. Then there's the 2005 movie with Keira Knightly, which I know some people hate, but I still like it (even for just the cinematography alone). Hell, I've even watched Lost in Austen, too. But for me, the absolute greatest one is The Lizzie Bennet Diaries.
Don't worry, I know you've probably never heard of it, but that's all about to change. Since I'm guessing you're new to this version like I was a month ago, let me make it easy for you. Here are some reasons why you need to drop everything you're doing right now and go watch this amazing show (yeah, you read that right: Show. As in multiple, awesome, and hilarious episodes. 100 to be exact.)
1. You don't have to buy anything, have a subscription to anything, or even illegally download anything to watch it...because it's a YouTube web series. I know that sounds crazy. I know. It's probably especially crazier if you're not aware of the giant community of vloggers on YouTube. There are so many people who are make weekly videos sharing about their lives, telling hilarious anecdotes, and generally being awesome. They even have their own award show called the Streamys, for which, coincidentally, The Lizzie Bennet Diaries earned multiple nominations. The creators of The Lizzie Bennet Diaries (henceforth known as LBD) set out to adapt Pride and Prejudice into that format. You guys, Lizzie Bennet has a vlog. It is fantastic, simply because by choosing this format, the writers got at the heart of the story: Lizzie Bennet's very biased, very flawed opinions about the events and people in her life.
2. The videos are only five minutes a piece; you have no excuse to not to watch them. This is the blessing and curse of LBD. You could theoretically just watch one five minute video a day for one hundred days. That's a perfectly acceptable and still very entertaining way to watch the series. Or you could watch the entire thing in two sittings like I did and shamelessly waste (aka thoroughly enjoy) a weekend. [The series actually began last year and would upload new videos twice a week. People who started with it at the beginning had to wait in between episodes like a regular TV show. I had to do this for a month and it was all kinds of painful. Lucky you, you can just watch the whole darn thing without any waiting!]
3. It's a modern adaptation. Ever wondered how Lizzie Bennet's story would play out in 2013 real life? Well here's your answer. In turning this into a modern-day adaptation, obviously the writers couldn't follow the story with complete accuracy, but the changes and updates they make are genius and fit the characters seamlessly. Lizzie is still spunky and feisty in a way that makes sense for 2013. Mr. Bingley is Bing Lee, a rich med student who buys the house next door. Lydia's storyline actually makes me like her and sympathize with her, for the first time, like, ever. You will love the updates to the story, and will be excited to find out how they adapt the next plot point.
4. Costume Theater. I'm not even going to explain what that means. Just wait for it and prepare to love it and bask in the brilliance of the writers to use it to solve some logistical problems that occur with vlog format.
5. I think it might contain my favorite Darcy. I'm still on the fence about this because I love me some Colin Firth, but the way Darcy is updated and portrayed in this adaptation is utterly wonderful. I won't spoil anything for you, but know that this Darcy is a bow-tie wearing hipster. And it makes perfect and total sense when you think about it.
6. Ashley Clements needs to be on your radar. How do I describe the awesomeness that is the actress portraying Lizzie? She at once is able to show Lizzie's bias and prejudice, while also showing her growth and vulnerability. My favorite thing about the character of Lizzie Bennet is that she is flawed. Jane Austen does not paint her as perfect in any way. Pride and Prejudice is not some cliched love story where the couple gets together at the end because that's how romantic comedies work. No, P&P shows that people aren't perfect, and relationships aren't perfect, and in fact, in order for Lizzie and Darcy to be together, they have to come to terms with the ways their flaws have come to define them. They have to fix and change themselves and each other. Somehow, Ashley Clements found the intricacies to Lizzie Bennet and was able to show them on screen in five minute increments. She was able to bring new life to a character that has been played so many times by so many actresses. And because of her talent, this was the first time I realized that I love Lizzie Bennet because I see so much of myself in her.
7. There are so many quotable lines. Of course there are already so many classically great lines from the original text ("It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife."), but LBD will give you many more tidbits to have floating around in your head. "What?" and "illuminating" will soon hold great new meaning for you.
8. The story doesn't just stop at the videos. The videos are great, and you will thoroughly enjoy them, don't get me wrong. However, to get the full experience of the show and the characters, the writers created so many other ways to participate. Each of the characters has a twitter account, and throughout the course of the story (in real time when the videos where being uploaded, but now you can go back and read them), the characters would tweet about things going on in their lives. Also, there are side video channels. Lydia has her own channel that gives more background to her story. Lizzie also uploads Q&A videos that are totally worth watching (there are ten in total, and are best watched as you go through the rest of the videos). There are also a few other channels, but I won't share their titles yet, as you'll want to discover them as you progress through the story. Watch for their tags at the end of the regular episodes. Another part of the experience is the fan community. There's a pretty huge fandom for the series, and Tumblr is the best way to discover all the awesome gifs, commentary, etc. Just don't search for any of it before you watch all the videos, since the series is over and those Tumblr accounts will totally spoil anything you haven't watched yet.
9. The videos will still surprise you, even if you've read the book a thousand times. You know that feeling you get when you finish reading a great book? The one where you kind of wish you hadn't finished so that the characters could continue longer and the story wouldn't end? Well, if you ever felt that way about Pride and Prejudice, here's the way to extend the experience. You get to see all these characters you've loved for so long, but still be surprised by what happens. Even if you think you know the story, and even though the writers hold very true to Austen's plotlines, and even though you think you know what's coming, parts of the story will surprise you and might even have you doing a little fangirl squealing.
10. You'll still like it even if you've never read a word of Jane Austen. I'm serious. Will you appreciate it more if you've read Pride and Prejudice cover to cover multiple times. Yes. But this story is still awesome sauce even if you're totally clueless to all things Jane Austen. I promise. In fact, you get to do what the rest of us Austen-philes don't-experience the story for the very first time. I'm kind of jealous, actually.
In conclusion, I must insist that that you watch The Lizzie Bennet Diaries. Watch at least the first ten episodes and then tell me you're not hooked.
To watch from the beginning, go here: The Lizzie Bennet Diaries-Episode 1
To read the twitter accounts in conjunction with the videos, (which I absolutely recommend you do): LBD Twitter
To check out more info about the show: The Lizzie Bennet Diaries Official Website

No comments:
Post a Comment